TruEnergy Federal Credit Union
By Donna Adinolfe
Background: As Washington Gas Light FCU was preparing to celebrate its 80th anniversary, it was time to facilitate growth and symbolize their wider SEG base through rebranding efforts. Throughout the years, the credit union extended membership to other energy-related companies beyond Washington Gas. The goal of the new brand was to grow membership by reflecting their commitment to serving the energy industry while staying true to their heritage.
What they did: The branding mission was headed by select members of the board, management, and a third-party marketing company. Once a new name was chosen, a logo was created that represented various energy sources and included elements of the previous logo. A detailed timeline was created and key audiences were identified. Early communication to the members, which included a comprehensive FAQ, was a top priority.
Result: In creating a seamless transition from one brand to the next, they experienced no member disruption and overwhelming acceptance. Since the launch, five new energy related employee groups have joined the credit union.
Key Lessons Learned:
- Create an effective member-awareness campaign for rebranding efforts. Communicate early and often with members about all changes and important dates.
- Develop a detailed timeline and list of collateral with assigned staff responsibilities.
- Create a uniform message from the staff to ensure rebranding continuity.
- Be prepared for member’s questions and concerns.
- Social posting guidelines which promote respectful engagement are crucial.
- Responses to posts should be timely.
- Posts should always be authentic and true.